The Persimmon is an orange-colored fruit having a sweet taste and honey-like flavor. Persimmon trees have been grown for thousands of years for their delicious fruit and beautiful wood in China.
The heart-shaped Persimmons are very high in plant chemicals called tannins. This makes unripe fruit a dry and bitter taste. Persimmon needs to be fully ripe before eating.
Persimmons can be eaten fresh, dried or cooked and are commonly used around the world in jellies, drinks, pies, curries and puddings.
This fruit benefits your health in several ways. It is small in size, but contains an impressive amount of nutrients.These colorful fruits are low in calories and loaded with fiber, making them a weight loss-friendly food. Persimmons are an excellent source of powerful antioxidants like carotenoids and flavonoids. Diets rich in these compounds have been linked to a reduced risk of certain diseases, including heart disease and diabetes. Persimmons are rich in the powerful antioxidant vitamin C, which helps lower inflammation, a common cause of many diseases. Fiber-rich foods like persimmons can help lower cholesterol, reduce blood sugar levels and keep your digestive system healthy.
Persimmons taste great in both sweet and savory dishes, including oatmeal, meat dishes, baked goods and smoothies.
Permission Fruit Dim sum is very close to my heart. You can prepare this for your sweet-heart as well. I have used different types of fruits to give the interesting twist in taste. But you can prepare this dessert by using any of the fruits or combination of different fruits as per your choice and availability.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Persimmon fruit , sliced – 12 pi
- Pineapple, chopped – 30 gm
- Apple, chopped – 40 gm
- Pears, chopped – 40 gm
- Guava, seedless, chopped – 40 gm
- Honey – 50 ml
- Black sesame seeds – a pinch
FOR DOUGH OF DIM SUM
- Potato starch – 02 tsp
- Wheat starch – 22 gm
- Refined oil – a few drops
- Water – to knead
- Brown sugar – 01 tbsp
- Persimmon fruit , pureed – 80 gm
- Sauté the chopped fruits with honey and keep separate.
- Mix potato starch and wheat starch, Add hot water gradually and beat the dough thoroughly with a wooden stick. Rub the dough with palm to produce elasticity. Cover and keep aside.
- For sauce, reduce the persimmon puree with brown sugar.
- Divide dough into 06 equal pieces, roll and stuff the dim sum with glazed fruits.
- Steam the dim sum on the bed of lemon leaves for about 05 minutes.
- Serve the dim sum with slices of persimmon tossed in black sesame seeds and reduced persimmon sauce.