If you want to treat your special one with something extremely scrumptious, we have a delicacy from the mountains to burst with the flavor…..Yes the traditional Kashmiri Dum Aloo.
Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a very famous Kashmiri dish made using potatoes simmered in a yogurt based gravy flavored with dry ginger powder,fenugreek and fennel.
It is said that cooking Dum Aloo is an art because it needs to be boiled and fried just right, the spices need to be authentic, and it takes a lot of time and patience to prepare it.
Lets prepare the traditional, restaurants style kashmiri Dum Aloo.
Dum Aloo is a popular potato dish across India with several different versions popping up specific to the native requirements. Significantly each state has their own recipes with their native ingredients. But this recipe is specific to the Kashmir valley and is prepared with the locally available ingredients.
kashmiri Dum Aloo recipe | how to make authentic kashmiri Dum Aloo recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Potato , big size – 02 nos
- Mustard oil – 02 tbsp
- Whole garam masala , (cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves,big and small cardamom) – 01 no each
- Whole red chilli , broken into pieces – 2 nos
- Saunf powder (fennel powder) – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry ginger powder- 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri mirch- 01 tsp
- Coriander powder – 01 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garam masala- a pinch
- Curd- 01 tbsp
- Fenugreek leaves (crushed kasoori methi) – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Cottage cheese ,grated – 02 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garam masala – a pinch
- Coriander leaves , chopped – 01 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder – a pinch
- Fresh tomato puree – 3 tbsp
- Refined Oil – to fry
- Wash, peel and make cavities in the potatoes. Parboil and deep fry till golden color.
- Make a stuffing of cottage cheese, garam masala, coriander leaves, salt and kashmiri chilli powder.
- Gently stuff the mixture in the cavities of potatoes.Cut the potatoes into two parts, and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in kadai, add whole red chilli and garam masala, let it crackle.
- Add turmeric powder, dry ginger powder, dhaniya poder, kashmiri chilli powder, saunf powder, and cook for a few minutes. You can add little water to prevent the masala from burning.
- Add fresh tomato puree and cook till masala starts leaving the edges of kadai. Switch off the flame.
- Add beaten curd and cook for few minutes, adjust seasoning. Finish with crushed fenugreek leaves and garam masala.
- Arrange the hot stuffed potatoes on the plate and pour the sauce on the potatoes. Garnish with crushed fenugreek leaves.