Shorba is a kind of a hot soup relished across Middle-East Asia, South and Central Asia. Shorba is derived from an Arabic term, ‘Shurbah’, meaning soup.
Tomato Dhaniya Shorba is an Indian version of Tomato Soup that is healthy, light, spicy and is filled with the goodness of Indian flavours. To make this Shorba, tomatoes are cooked along with Indian spices such as bay leaf, cinnamon and cumin seeds which instantly lift up the flavor of this dish.
Tomato dhaniya shorba is a healthy option. Tomatoes are the major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. Also Coriander seed helps in reducing bad cholesterol and promotes good cholesterol in the body.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Level of Cooking: Easy
- Fresh Coriander Stems – 1 stalks
- Tomato (chopped) – 2 tablespoon
- Red Tomatoes (medium size) – 10 no
- Refined Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Black cardamom – 1 no
- Green cardamoms – 2 nos
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Whole coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaf – 2 nos
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger (small stem) – 1 no
- Garlic clove – 8 nos
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Roughly cut the tomatoes. Blend the ginger and garlic by using mortar and pestle.
- Heat a soup pot; add oil, bay leaf, cardamoms, cumin seeds & coriander seeds. Let it crackles. (don’t burn the spices)
- Add blended ginger and garlic in the pot. Cook it for few mins.
- Add roughly cut tomatoes, salt, chilli powder and sugar. Stirring occasionally.
- Add coriander stems. Let the tomatoes caramelized and turning brown in color.
- Add water, and simmer for few mins or till the fragrant infused in liquid.
- Strain the soup. Adjust seasoning.
- Transfer the soup in a soup bowl, add chopped tomato and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with crispy Naan croutons.