Fettuccine Alfredo or “fettuccine all’Alfredo” is a dish made with fettuccine pasta combined with a sauce made from Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, cream and butter. The dish was named after Alfredo Di Lelio who opened a restaurant in Rome in 1914 and served “fettuccine all’Alfredo. The restaurant, now called “Il Vero Alfredo – Alfredo di Roma”, is run by the granddaughter of Alfredo Di Lelio, Ines Di Lelio.
Fettuccine Alfredo is an exaggerated variation of “pasta al burro” or pasta with butter–a dish that would be cooked at home for simplicity and comfort………
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
2. Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
3. Fettuccine pasta
7. Black pepper
10. Garlic (chopped)
11. Olive oil
- Blanch the pasta in salted boiling water. coat olive oil thoroughly in pasta to prevent sticking together.
- Prepare white sauce with boiled milk,studded onion with roux. Roux is known for cooking equal quantities of butter and flour till sandy texture.
- In a pan add butter, and the cream , stirring frequently, until the butter is melted and the cream comes to a bare simmer. Add white sauce , it will add texture and thickens the sauce. Adjust seasoning and add a pinch of nutmeg.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, cook chopped onion and garlic till translucent. Add pasta and toss properly. Add seasoning. (You can add choice of your vegetables/meat /fish/chicken )
- Add the tossed pasta in the sauce and the cheese.
- Heat the pasta and sauce over a low flame, tossing continuously, until the cheese melts into the sauce and the sauce thickens slightly, about one to two minutes.
- Transfer the pasta in a serving plate, topped with grated parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves. Serve with toasted garlic bread.